George Hardwick

George Hardwick


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

George Hardwick nació en Saltburn el 2 de febrero de 1920. Jugó como lateral izquierdo en South Bank. El entrenador del Arsenal, George Allison, lo vio jugar, pero le dijo: "Tienes mucha habilidad y una fuerza tremenda, pero creo que eres demasiado grande en el trasero para llegar a la categoría como futbolista".

A pesar de estos comentarios, fichó por Middlesbrough en 1936. Recibió £ 3 10s a la semana, con un bono de £ 2 por jugar en una victoria del primer equipo. Otros en el club en ese momento incluían a Wilf Mannion, George Camsell, Dave Cumming, Benny Yorston, Micky Fenton, Ralph Birkett y Harold Shepherdson.

Hardwick hizo su debut en la temporada 1937-38. En el primer minuto del partido, Hardwick, el lateral más joven de la primera división, logró marcar un gol en propia puerta con su primer tiro en el primer equipo. A pesar de este terrible comienzo, mantuvo su lugar en el equipo hasta que su carrera fue interrumpida por la Segunda Guerra Mundial.

Hardwick ganó su primer partido internacional con Inglaterra contra Irlanda del Norte el 28 de septiembre de 1946. Franklin retuvo su lugar y esa temporada jugó contra la República de Irlanda (1-0), Gales (3-0), Holanda (8-2) , Escocia (1-1), Francia (3-0), Suiza (0-1) y Portugal (10-0). El equipo de Inglaterra esa temporada incluyó a jugadores como Raich Carter, Tommy Lawton, Wilf Mannion, Harry Johnston, Neil Franklin, Laurie Scott, Tom Finney, Stanley Matthews, Stan Mortensen, Billy Wright y Frank Swift.

Hardwick mantuvo su lugar en la selección de Inglaterra y en la temporada 1947-48 jugó contra Bélgica (5-2), Gales (3-0), Irlanda del Norte (2-2), Suecia (4-2) y Escocia (2 -0). Sin embargo, una grave lesión en la rodilla puso fin a su carrera internacional. Sin embargo, Hardwick logró recuperar su lugar en el equipo de Middlesbrough.

En 1950 Hardwick se unió al Oldham Athletic como jugador-entrenador. Había marcado 5 goles en 143 partidos con el Middlesbrough. En su primera temporada el club terminó 15º en Tercera División. Oldham ascendió a Segunda División tras ganar el título de liga en la temporada 1952-53. Sin embargo, la temporada siguiente, Oldham terminó en el puesto 22 y descendió. Hardwick se retiró en 1955 después de anotar 14 goles en 190 partidos para Oldham.

Hardwick se convirtió en entrenador del PSV Eindhoven en 1957. Más tarde fue puesto a cargo de la selección de fútbol de Holanda. También entrenó a Middlesbrough y dirigió Sunderland y Gateshead.

Mike McCullagh se convirtió en el presidente de Middlesbrough en 1982. Más tarde afirmó que su primera decisión fue otorgar un testimonio a Hardwick y Wilf Mannion. "Sabía de las muchas solicitudes y nunca pude entender por qué no había sido el primero en la lista de juegos que se celebrarían. Wilf y George eran dos de los jugadores más famosos que Middlesbrough había visto y dos de los más queridos. jugadores ".

El 17 de mayo de 1983, Bobby Robson trajo un once de Inglaterra para jugar en Middlesbrough. Una multitud de 13.710 espectadores, 3.000 más que el promedio de visitantes de esa temporada, vio el partido. El vicepresidente del comité de testimonios, Terry Jackson, dijo: "Cuando Wilf y George finalmente salieron antes del partido, las lágrimas rodaban por mis mejillas. Fue el mayor regalo de mi vida y todos los miembros del comité sienten lo mismo".

George Hardwick murió el 19 de abril de 2004.

Siento que la reputación de George Hardwick se derrumbó más rápidamente de lo que merecía después del partido Inglaterra contra Escocia en Hampden Park en abril de 1948. Hasta ese momento había sido la elección automática de su país, y también el capitán, pero una lesión le costó la vida. lugar en la gira de la Asociación de Fútbol, ​​y no pudo volver al grado internacional.

George es un gran tipo, con la feliz habilidad de poder hacer una sugerencia a un jugador, incluso para criticar, sin dejar atrás ningún sentimiento herido. Quizás su entrada no siempre fue tan letal como la de uno o dos laterales de su época, pero en general fue, y es, un futbolista de primera. Tanto dentro como fuera del campo, ha sido un crédito para el deporte.


Condado de Montgomery Kentucky

Estos son recortes de periódicos que aparecieron en una columna de genealogía en Mt. Sterling Advocate, escrito por Harry W. Mills. La columna de genealogía de Harry W. Mills apareció originalmente en Mt. Sterling Advocate en las décadas de 1940 y 1950.

Los primeros registros disponibles que enumeran familias en Mt. Sterling, Ky., Se incluyen en el censo del condado de Montgomery de 1810. (El censo de Kentucky de 1800 fue destruido cuando los británicos quemaron el Capitolio en Washington durante la Guerra de 1812). El libro de 1810 que contiene la enumeración del condado de Montgomery dice: "Lista de las personas dentro de la División asignadas a Hardage Smith ... Y la lista de Mt. Sterling comienza:" Mount Sterling, 30 de agosto de 1810 ".

Familias en el monte Sterling, 1810

En 1810 había 40 familias que residían en Mt. Sterling, y estos son los "jefes de familia".

Población total de Mt. Sterling, 1810: Blancos: hombres, 89 mujeres, 154 en total 243 de color, 50 o más (las cifras son ilegibles en muchos casos)

A continuación se presentan breves bosquejos genealógicos de algunas de las familias de 1810:

FERGUSON - William Ferguson, cabeza de familia formada por seis hombres y una mujer. William Ferguson nació en Virginia en 1787. Se casó con Susanna Smith, nacida en 1789, hija de Enoch Smith (1750-1825), y entre sus hijos se encuentran los siguientes: (1) Franklin Ferguson, nacido en 1827 (2) George Ferguson, nacido en 1830 (3) Christopher Ferguson, nacido en 1833 (4) Ellen Ferguson, nacido en 1835. Enoch Smith, en su testamento, legalizó el Tribunal de Mayo de 1825, nombró a sus hijas Susanna Ferguson y Frances Ferguson. William Ferguson era hijo de Thomas y Priscilla (Ford) Ferguson. Tenía un hermano, Josiah Ferguson, y una hermana, Susanna Ferguson, que se casó con Israel Wright. (Nota agregada por Bettie Cline McCaleb - El esposo de Priscilla Ford era Josiah Ferguson. Esto se indica en el testamento de su padre, Thomas Ford. También cuando Josiah Ferguson murió, el acuerdo de su patrimonio lo llama Josiah. Ella también tiene una copia de una carta escrita por su tío abuelo, el Dr. Josiah Ferguson Jones, en el que habla de sus abuelos como Josiah y Priscilla Ferguson. Quizás Josiah se llamaba Thomas Josiah, pero ella no ha encontrado nada que lo pruebe. En Fairfax Co., Virginia, John Ferguson menciona a los hijos John, Joshua y Josiah pero no Thomas.)

WILLIAMS - Samuel Williams era el jefe de una familia formada por cinco hombres y tres mujeres. Había otras 18 familias llamadas Williams incluidas en el censo de 1810 del condado de Montgomery. No hay más información disponible sobre Samuel Williams.

DEBIDOS - La familia Owings se estableció temprano en los condados de Montgomery y Bath, pero en la actualidad no hay más registros disponibles de Richard Owings.

FERGUSON - William Ferguson (1786-1869), hijo de Josiah y Frances (Smith) Ferguson se casó con Susanna Smith (1789-1878). En 1810, William Ferguson era el jefe de una familia formada por 6 hombres y 1 mujer.

CHILES - William Chiles era ingeniero civil. Poseía una considerable tierra, se casó tres veces y crió una gran familia de hijos. Su hijo, Co. Walter Chiles, nació en el condado de Montgomery, murió en Frankfort, Kentucky. Se graduó de Transylvania College, se convirtió en un abogado prominente, se casó (1) Eliza Price no se casó con hijos (2) Caroline Stith, y tuvo un problema: Mary A., Landon C.

Muchos que ahora viven recuerdan especialmente por su gran interés en los asuntos de las escuelas públicas, Landon T. Mt. Sterling Annie, se casó con LT Young.

COFER - Henry Cofer, "familia" de una persona (grupo de edad de 26 a 45 años). De ahí que supongamos que era soltero o al menos no tenía familia en ese momento. Había Cofers en los primeros condados de Montgomery y Bath.

DURRETT - Paul Durrett probablemente era soltero en 1810, ya que figura en el censo como "cabeza de familia" de una persona (hombre, grupo de edad de 26 a 45 años). Entre los matrimonios realizados por el reverendo John "Raccoon" Smith en el condado de Montgomery se encuentra el de Paul Durrett y Gabriella L. Banks, el 1 de junio de 1820. Hon. Wallace Gruelle, en su histórico discurso en Mt. Sterling, 1872, relata anécdotas sobre Paul Durrett, quien, dice, "estaba dolorido. Era un caballero jovial, de tono alto y aficionado a su broma".

HENLEY - Osburn Henley (¿Hensley?) Era el jefe de una familia numerosa (11 hombres y 3 mujeres), pero no hay más registros disponibles sobre este hombre.

Molinos - El Dr. John Augustus Mills (nacido en Maryland ca. 1780 murió en Fulton, condado de Callaway, Missouri), se estableció en el condado de Montgomery en los días de los pioneros y fue uno de los primeros tres médicos en Mt. Sterling. Posteriormente se trasladó a Winchester, condado de Clark, Kentucky, donde alcanzó prominencia. Se nos ha dicho que una pintura al óleo del célebre médico cuelga en la corte del condado de Clark. La esposa del Dr. Mill se llamaba Lucy (se desconoce el apellido de soltera), oriunda de Virginia, su familia en 1810 incluía cuatro hijos, pero solo nos han llegado los nombres de dos: (I) John Mills, nacido en Kentucky ca. 1929 sin más registro. (II) Emily Mills, se casó con Irvine Hockaday y se mudó a Fulton, Missouri, en los primeros tiempos. Tuvieron ocho hijos, la hija mayor, Lucy Hockaday, se casó con Solomom Van Meter. Irvine Hockaday fue el primer secretario de ese condado de Callaway, Missouri. Un descendiente del Dr. Mills nos dice que ". Cuando el Dr. Mills y su esposa envejecieron, nuestra abuela, Emily Hockaday, fue a Winchester y los llevó de regreso a Fulton, Missouri. Se construyó una habitación especialmente para ellos, y allí vivieron hasta su muerte. Están enterrados en el lote familiar en Fulton ".

GRANDES - Andrew Biggs era el jefe de una gran familia en 1810: 15 hombres y 4 mujeres, un total de 19 personas. Sin embargo, como era hotelero, se supone que las personas enumeradas incluían huéspedes de su establecimiento, así como miembros de su grupo familiar inmediato. En su discurso histórico pronunciado en Mt. Sterling, el 4 de julio de 1872, el juez Wallace Gruelle declaró: "La primera taberna del lugar (Mt. Sterling) se erigió en la esquina que ahora ocupa la tienda de productos secos de Johnson & amp Thompson. Joseph Simpson fue el constructor y bonifacio (sic). Andrew Biggs posteriormente abrió una taberna donde ahora se encuentra el Hotel Kentucky ". Andrew Biggs probablemente fue uno de los primeros pobladores del condado de Montgomery, ya que su nombre aparece en la lista de impuestos de 1797.

MERCKLEY - Frederick Merekley aparece en 1810 como cabeza de familia de 6 hombres y 1 mujer. No figura en el censo de 1820 de Mt. Sterling. No hay más antecedentes.

EVERITT - Richmond Everitt, cabeza de una familia de 6 personas en 1810, pertenecía sin duda a la misma familia que Samuel D. Everitt que figura en Mt. Sterling., 1820. "Historical Sketches" de Reid: ". En una casa contigua al oeste de la taberna de Simpson, Samuel y Peter Everitt comenzaron su exitosa carrera como comerciantes ".

NOVIOS - Moses Grooms, cabeza de una familia de 6 personas en 1810, también figura en el censo de 1820 del monte Sterling. No hay más registro disponible.

KELSOE - Hugh Kelso llegó a Kentucky desde el condado de Bath, Virginia, su hermano, John Kelsoe, también se estableció en el condado de Montgomery, Kentucky. Eran hijos de James y Elizabeth (Sitlington) Kelso del condado de Bath, Virginia, quienes también tenían hijas, Mary (Polly) Kelso y Elizabeth (Betsy) Kelso. Betsy Kelso era la esposa de Thomas Hughart del condado de Bath, Virginia, quien emigró a Kentucky y se estableció en el condado de Bath, Kentucky. (Las familias Kelso y Hughart se encuentran entre las primeras familias que se mudaron del condado de Bath, en Virginia, y se instaló en el condado del mismo nombre en Kentucky. Sólo hay dos condados en todo el país llamados Bath: uno en Virginia y otro en Kentucky.

MCILVAIN - La familia de Archibald McIlvain incluía 4 machos, todos los adultos contiguos eran James McIlvain, con una familia de 2 machos y 3 hembras. Los miembros de la familia McIlvain se casaron con Banks, McBee (Mockbee) y otras familias del condado de Montgomery.

FEAMSTER - Samuel Feamster (Feimster) de Mt. Sterling, 1810, era descendiente de una familia escocesa que se estableció temprano en la sección del condado de Bath-Highland, Virginia.

HODGES - La familia de William Hodges, Mt. Sterling, 1810, incluía dos adultos y tres niños. No se dispone de registro del nombre de su esposa o de los hijos. La contabilidad del auditor de las "loterías de la ciudad" en Mt. Sterling, 1797, enumeró a William Hoges (Hodges) como propietario de una "lotería". El bosquejo histórico de Gruelle del condado de Montgomery dice: "Un hombre llamado Hodge erigió el primer molino de molienda en la parte trasera de la propiedad contigua a la iglesia metodista, ahora propiedad del Dr. Ashby. Lo manejó con caballos de fuerza". El hombre que erigió el primer molino de molienda fue posiblemente el William Hodges de Mt. Sterling, sin embargo, había otros de ese nombre que vivían en el condado de Montgomery o tenían propiedades allí, como el libro del auditor de 1797 enumera a John Hodges, Andrew Hodge, también como William Hodges.

THOMSON - Hugh D. Thomson, jefe de una familia formada por dos adultos, probablemente pertenecía a la misma familia que David Anderson Thompson, Jr., quien llegó de Virginia a Kentucky en los primeros días y se estableció cerca de Mt. Sterling.

RINGO - Henry Ringgold (Ringo), que vivía en Mt. Sterling en agosto de 1810, pertenecía sin duda a la familia de Henry Ringo (1724-1802), quien con sus siete hijos e hijas llegó de Nueva Jersey a través de Virginia a Montgomery. condado, Kentucky, en los primeros días.

RÍGIDO - Daniel Stiff, que vive en Mt. Sterling, 1810, con una familia de dos adultos y Joseph Stiff, cabeza de una familia de dos adultos y cinco niños, que vive en el condado de Montgomery, Kentucky, 1810, probablemente eran parientes cercanos. Sin embargo, no hay información disponible sobre su origen, aunque había una familia con ese nombre en el condado de Middlesex, Virginia, en el año 1710. La familia se originó en Old England, donde estaba asentada en Wiltshire ya en el siglo XIII. El apellido Stiff se deriva del apodo "The Stiff", que significa rígido en rasgos u obstinado en temperamento. Una autoridad sobre el origen de los apellidos establece que "la vocal fue una vez larga", es decir, pronunciada como Stife, como en la palabra Strife.

CHEATHAM - En 1810, David Cheatham, James Cheatham y John Cheatham vivían en el condado, y Leonard Cheatham en la ciudad de Mt. Sterling. La enumeración federal muestra a Leonard Cheatham como cabeza de familia de 2 adultos y 6 niños. (Uno de los oficiales de la milicia del condado de Montgomery, establecido por el gobernador en 1798, fue el alférez Lewis Cheatham).

FORBUSH - En 1776, James Forbush fue uno de los primeros colonos en Bryant's Station (en el condado de Fayette) y luego se mudó al condado de Broubon. Gracy Forbush, cabeza de una familia que vive en Mt. Sterling, 1810, que consta de 1 adulto (mujer) y dos hijos, puede haber sido la viuda de un descendiente de este James Forbush, que llegó al condado de Montgomery antes de 1810.

SIMPSON - Joseph Simpson era cabeza de familia de 2 adultos y 11 niños en la enumeración de 1810 del monte Sterling. (Uno de los oficiales del regimiento de milicias del condado de Montgomery, establecido por el gobernador en 1798 fue el teniente Joseph Simpson. Este es sin duda el Joseph Simpson mencionado por Reid: "La primera taberna (en Mt. Sterling) fue construida en el esquina ahora ocupada por Wells y el almacén de artículos secos de Thompson. Era un edificio de troncos tallados, con un porche enorme y anticuado que se extendía en toda su longitud. Joseph Simpson era el constructor y el propietario.).

SPURGEON (Spurgin) - Entre los nombres de "visitantes y localizadores" mencionados por Reid al relatar la historia pionera del condado de Montgomery estaba Samuel Spurgeon (1779), quien "se estableció cerca de Mt. Sterling con su familia en 1792". Samuel Spurgeon vive en Mt. Sterling en 1810, cabeza de familia de 2 adultos y 5 niños.

VIRT (Vert) - Jacob Virt fue uno de los primeros colonos de Kentucky, su nombre aparece en los registros del condado de Bourbon ya en 1790. Más tarde se trasladó al condado de Montgomery, donde murió su testamento, legalizado en la corte de mayo de 1826, nombra esposa , Keziah Virt, y los siguientes hijos: (1) Adam Virt (2) Sibber Virt (casado - Pleak) (3) Polly Virt (casado - Pleak) (4) Betsy Virt (casado - Wilson) (5) Jacob Virt ( 6) Rebecca Virt (casada - Sutton) (7) Sally Virt (8) Nathaniel Virt (9) John Virt (10) Keziah Virt (11) Reason Virt (12) William Virt (13) Daniel Virt.

INGRAM (Ingrim) - Thomas Ingrim o Ingram vivían en el condado de Montgomery en 1810, cuando era cabeza de familia de 4 personas. Un Uriah Ingrim poseía una propiedad en el condado de Montgomery, 1797, y probablemente pertenecía al mismo linaje familiar. Esta familia aparece en registros posteriores de los condados de Bath y Morgan, Kentucky, y puede haber vivido en esa parte de los primeros tiempos de Montgomery que más tarde se cortó para formar Bath y Morgan.

KINCAID (Kinkaid) - En la época de las guerras coloniales, esta familia era bastante numerosa en el suroeste de Virginia (Augusta y los condados aislados de allí, incluidos Greenbrier, Bath, etc.). La historia pionera de Kentucky registra muchos de los nombres. David Kincaid y John Kincaid fueron los primeros propietarios en el condado de Montgomery (lista de impuestos de 1797). El censo de 1810 de este condado enumera varias familias llamadas Kincaid, que incluyen: Archibald Kincaid, John Kincaid, Andrew Kincaid, Andrew Kincaid, Jr., Thomas Kincaid, George Kincaid y David Kincaid. Todos parecen haber vivido en lo que se convirtió en el condado de Bath en 1811. Los matrimonios realizados por el reverendo Joseph Price Howe, primer pastor de la iglesia presbiteriana de Springfield, condado de Bath, Kentucky, incluyen los de: Thomas Kincaid y Mary Bracken, el 13 de marzo de 1800 John Caldwell y Mary Kincaid el 13 de marzo de 1800 y James Johnston y Ann Kincaid el 10 de septiembre de 1810.

MAGOWAN - James S. Magowan, catalogado como cabeza de familia de 2 adultos y 5 niños. James Strode Magowan nació en Virginia en 1774, hijo de James Magowan del condado de Berleley, Virginia, ubicado cerca del monte Sterling. Él era un gran terrateniente. El juez Gruelle, en su esbozo histórico del monte Sterling, declaró que "en 1809 James Magowan inició una curtiduría en el lote en el que se está construyendo el depósito del ferrocarril". James S. Magowan sirvió como Representante del condado de Montgomery, con William Hodges, 1808. James Strode Magowan murió alrededor de 1852. Su hijo, James P. Magowan (nacido en 1801 murió en 1858), casado en 1827, Eliza Jane Banks (ella nació en lo que es ahora el condado de Bath, el 16 de mayo de 1806 murió en 1871, hija de Cuthbert y Elizabeth MeIlvaine Banks. Hijos: (1) Anna Eliza (2) James Asa (3) John Trabue (4) William Cuthbert. John Trabue Magowan, hijo de James T. y Eliza (Banks) Magowan, nació en 1834 murió en 1909 nació, vivió y murió en el condado de Montgomery. En 1872, se casó con Emily G. Gatewood. Hijos: (1) James R. (2) Mary .

HEIGHTON - La enumeración federal de 1810, muestra a Josiah Heighton en la lista con un hombre adulto, grupo de edad de 45 años o más en la familia. Por tanto, se supone que era un anciano sin familia, que vivía solo. No hay otra informacion disponible. (Había un John Heaton, un nombre similar en la Lista de impuestos de 1797 del condado de Montgomery).

McFERRIN - John McFerrin era el jefe de una familia de 2 adultos y 5 niños, que vivía en Mt. Sterling, 1810. No hay información disponible actualmente sobre los nombres de la esposa y los hijos de John McFerrin, sin embargo, entre los matrimonios realizados por el Rev. John Smith, en el condado de Montgomery fueron los siguientes: Jonathan McFerrin y Rebecca Harper, 13 de octubre de 1818 Dillingham Ward y Susan McFerrin, 26 de noviembre de 1818 y Aaron McFerrin y Elizabeth Montgomery, 13 de abril de 1830. La familia de McFerrin es una anciana de Virginia y un miembro de la familia vienen del condado de York, Virginia, al condado de Lincoln, Kentucky, en los primeros días de los pioneros. John McFerrin de Mt. Sterling probablemente pertenecía a la misma familia.

PLUMA - Andrew Featherchy era el jefe de una familia compuesta por 2 adultos y 8 niños, que vivía en Mt. Sterling 1810. (no hay más información).

WHITLEDGE - Robert Whitledge fue miembro del primer grupo de exploración en la primavera de 1775, pero evidentemente no se estableció en el condado de Montgomery. El nombre de Robert Whitledge se encuentra en una petición a la Asamblea de Virginia presentada por "varios habitantes del condado de Bourbon", con fecha del 27 de octubre de 1788. Se describe a los peticionarios como "viviendo cerca del Palacio de Justicia y en Licking Creek". llegamos a la conclusión de que Robert Whitledge se encuentra cerca de la ciudad de Hopewell (ahora París, condado de Bourbon). En el condado de Bourbon también estaban Thomas Whitledge y John Whitledge, los hermanos y Robert Whitledge probablemente eran de la misma familia.

JUDY - John Judy y otros "salieron de Virginia en 1779 y compusieron la pequeña colonia de blancos que primero colonizaron el condado de Montgomery". La familia de Judy (Tshudi) vino de Suiza a Estados Unidos en los primeros días y se instaló primero en Pensilvania, luego los miembros se trasladaron a Virginia y Kentucky.

TOMÁS - Moses Thomas es nombrado miembro de la pequeña colonia que "estableció por primera vez el condado de Montgomery". Un Benjamin Thomas se menciona en los primeros registros del condado de Montgomery: El 7 de noviembre de 1803, Weathers Smith del condado de Bourbon otorgó poder a Benjamin Thomas de Montgomery, "para hacer la división de la tierra en manos de mi hermano George Smith y yo". Benjamin Thomas murió "alrededor de febrero de 1813, dejando a Benjamin Franklin Thomas y Washington Thomas, menores de edad, de los cuales James French era tutor".

SADE - William Sade, otro de los que "salieron de Virginia en 1779", puede que no haya encontrado ningún otro registro en el condado de Montgomery.

BLANCO - Benjamin White es uno de los primeros "visitantes y localizadores". Posiblemente era un "visitante" en lugar de un "localizador", ya que no se encuentra más información sobre él. Uno de los primeros colonos del condado de Montgomery fue Aquilla White (nota escrita a mano: A. W. Rev. Soldier), que llegó a Kentucky en 1779 y se ubicó primero en Boonesborough y luego se trasladó al condado de Montgomery. Estuvo en la Revolución Americana en la que se desempeñó como Capitán en la Línea de Pensilvania. Él está en la lista de pensiones de 1835, residente del condado de Montgomery con 89 años.

ANDERSON - Nicholas Anderson fue uno de los primeros "visitantes y localizadores" del condado de Montgomery. El testamento de no ocupación de un tal Nicholas Anderson fue probado por el juramento de David Bradshaw en la Corte de diciembre de 1823, condado de Montgomery. Se menciona a su esposa, Rachel e hijos (pero no se dan los nombres de los niños). En los primeros registros del condado de Montgomery había bastantes hombres llamados Anderson, que posiblemente sean descendientes o de la misma rama que Nicholas Anderson, pero suficientes. no se dispone de datos para identificar a estas personas y organizar un bosquejo genealógico.

POAGE - Otro de los primeros "visitantes y localizadores" fue James Poage. El 17 de diciembre de 1796, el gobernador James Garrard emitió comisiones a los jueces del primer Tribunal de Sesiones Trimestrales para el recién establecido condado de Montgomery, uno de los jueces se llamaba James Poage. A principios del año 1798, el gobernador despidió a un regimiento de milicias para el nuevo condado de Montgomery. Nombró al teniente coronel y comandante, James Poage. Las listas de impuestos del condado de Montgomery de 1797 muestran que James Poage era el propietario de 1106 acres de tierra. No se encontraron registros genealógicos.

SPURGIN - Samuel Spurgin, entre los primeros visitantes y localizadores sin más registro. (Nota escrita: factura de venta - finca - 1838)

TURLEY - James Turley llegó desde el condado de Culpeper, Virginia hasta cerca de Mt. Sterling, Kentucky, antes de que se estableciera el condado de Montgomery. Las primeras listas de impuestos del nuevo condado, 1797, muestran los nombres de James Turley y Loenard Turley. El censo estadounidense de 1810 enumera el nombre de Leonard Turley como jefe de una familia que consta de 5 hombres y 3 mujeres, sin embargo, no hay registro de James Turley en este momento, por lo que se supone que falleció o se mudó a otro lugar. (Había un James Turley nacido alrededor de 1762, un soldado revolucionario que vivía en el condado de Sangamon, Illinois, en el año 1835, cuando figuraba como jubilado, con 72 años de edad). Otros Turleys encontrados en los primeros registros del condado de Montgomery son sin duda descendientes de los pioneros, sin embargo, tenemos un registro definitivo de un solo hijo de James Turley, Juez de Paz. Era Thomas J. Turley, nacido en el condado de Montgomery, quien en 1830 se mudó al condado de Gallatin, Kentucky. Se casó con Artie Lillard, una hija del reverendo David Lillard, uno de los primeros ministros bautistas de Kentucky. Leonard Turley parece haber vivido en esa parte de Montgomery que más tarde se convirtió en el condado de Bath.

ROBINSON - Parece que hubo más de una rama de la familia Robinson en los días de los pioneros en el condado de Montgomery. En la etapa actual de nuestra investigación, es imposible identificar y organizar los registros disponibles de los del nombre en los primeros días del condado de Montgomery.

ABRAZOS - David Hughes, uno de los primeros jueces de paz de Montgomery, fue un gran terrateniente del nuevo condado, como lo demuestran las listas de impuestos de 1797. Un tal James Hughes también fue uno de los primeros terratenientes. Un miembro fundador de la antigua iglesia presbiteriana de Springfield, condado de Montgomery (más tarde Bath) fue John Hughes. (Escrito en el margen: John Hughes M. Polly Pattterson - 9 de noviembre de 1809)

ROSENBOROUGH - William Rosenborough, juez de paz, condado de Montgomery, 1797, pudo haberse mudado a otro lugar o posiblemente residió en una parte del condado que pronto quedó aislada del condado de Montgomery. Sin registro.

HARDWICK - John Hardwick (o Hardwicke), Sr., Juez de Paz, condado de Montgomery, Kentucky, nació en Virginia, alrededor de 1714 se trasladó del condado de Bedford, Virginia a Kentucky poco después de la Revolución Americana, y su nombre se encuentra entre los registros del condado de Fayette, Kentucky, para el año 1790. Las listas de impuestos de 1797, condado de Montgomery, muestran los nombres de John Hardwick, Senr. John Hardwick, junio. George Hardwick, Sr., se casó en primer lugar, con la señorita Venable en segundo lugar, Dorcas Bush de Virginia.

COLVIN - El gobernador James Gerrard, el 17 de diciembre de 1796, emitió comisiones a hombres designados como jueces de paz para el nuevo condado de Montgomery (que fue establecido por una ley de la Legislatura de Kentucky aprobada el 14 de diciembre de 1796, para entrar en vigor el 1 de marzo de 1797 ). Entre los nombrados jueces de paz se encontraba Joseph Colvin.

Este Joseph Colvin pudo haber vivido en una parte del condado de Montgomery que luego se aisló para formar otros condados, o bien se mudó a otro lugar. (Hubo un Joseph Colvin que se estableció temprano en el condado de Lincoln, Kentucky). Durante algunos años, parece haber habido un esfuerzo considerable por parte de los descendientes para completar la historia de la familia Colvin y varias investigaciones han aparecido en publicaciones y se han enviado desde varios lugares, buscando datos sobre los primeros pobladores del nombre Colvin en Virginia y Kentucky. Una investigación impresa en un documento histórico solicitó información sobre uno de Joseph Colvin, que se dice que está relacionado con las familias de Anderson, Trimble Allen, que vino del condado de Augusta, Virginia, a Kentucky en los días de los pioneros y se estableció en Kentucky, incluido el condado de Fayette.

Con la esperanza de ser de alguna ayuda para cualquiera que busque información sobre la historia temprana de la familia Colvin, se dan las siguientes notas, recopiladas por el escritor durante un período de una docena de años:

Se dice que la familia Colvin llegó de Inglaterra a América alrededor de 1744. Esta tradición familiar parece encajar en el siguiente artículo, de la Historia de Virginia de Foote: Alrededor del año de 1735, William Hoge se mudó de Pensilvania y se estableció en Opeckon, tres millas al sur de Winchester, Virginia .. Opeckon Meeting House se encuentra en esta extensión de tierra. Las familias de Vance, Allen, Colvin, White. y otros se unieron a él y formaron la Congregación Opeckon, la más antigua al oeste de Blue Ridge. (La familia Vance fue una de las primeras familias de la fe presbiteriana en el condado de Frederick, Virginia).

En la Historia de Winchester, Virginia, de Frederick Morton, en el escritor [sic], hay una copia de un documento antiguo sobre el trazado de lotes para la ciudad de Winchester. Entre los nombres mencionados se encuentran Marquis Calmes, Andrew Campbell, Margan Morgan, John White y David Vance, todos nombres representados entre las primeras familias de Kentucky. La fecha es el 21 de marzo de 1744 (calendario de nuevo estilo).

De otro curso, nos enteramos de que Andrew Vance, que vino de Irlanda a Estados Unidos alrededor de 1700 y se estableció en Opeckon Creek, condado de Frederick, Virginia, en 1735, se casó con Elizabeth Colvin.

Mucho antes de la Guerra de la Revolución, los miembros de la familia Colvin se establecieron en el condado de Culpepper, Virginia.

Jospeh Colvin, hijo de Charles Colvin, nació en el condado de Culpepper, Virginia, en 1778, y vino con sus padres a Kentucky. Se casó con Nancy Turner, hija de Stephen y Mary Turner. Su hijo, Armistead Colvin, nació cerca de Lancaster, Ky., El 23 de abril de 1807, y murió en Indiana, en 1872 se casó en el condado de Garrard, Kentucky, el 4 de abril de 1809, Leannah Wilson, hija de William y Nancy (Banks) Wilson. .

El condado de Montgomery se formó a partir de parte del condado de Clark en virtud de una ley de la Legislatura de Kentucky aprobada el 14 de diciembre de 1796, que entró en vigor el 1 de marzo de 1797. El 8 de febrero de 1798, el gobernador despidió a un nuevo regimiento de milicias, siendo el trigésimo primero, para ser incluido en el condado de Montgomery y nombrado James Poage, Teniente Coronel Comandante, y Andrew Swearingen, Mayor del Primer Batallón, y Samuel Downing, Mayor del Segundo Batallón. (También se nombraron otros oficiales comisionados para este Regimiento de Milicia). (De los archivos de Kentucky).

POAGE - James Poage es uno de los primeros exploradores de lo que ahora es el condado de Montgomery. Se dice que se estableció cerca de Mt. Sterling en 1792. Fue nombrado juez del Tribunal de Sesiones Trimestrales para el nuevo condado de Montgomery. Su nombre aparece en primer lugar. listas de impuestos, 1797, como un gran terrateniente y fue nombrado Comandante del primer Regimiento de Milicia para el condado de Montgomery. Desafortunadamente, no hay más registros disponibles de James Poage en este condado, sin embargo, algunas notas sobre la familia en Kentucky y Virginia pueden ser de interés: William Poage vivió en Harrodsburg de 1776 a 1778, era un hombre ingenioso e hizo todos los baldes. , cubos de leche, tarrinas y noggins utilizados por la gente del Fuerte. Su viuda se casó con Joseph Lindsey en 1781 y varios años después se casó con James McGinty. (Historia de Kentucky de Collins). En 1739, dos hermanos, John y Robert Poage, llegaron a Estados Unidos y aterrizaron en Filadelfia y luego se trasladaron a Virginia. Robert Poage se casó con los hijos de Elizabeth Preston: Margaret, John, Martha, Sarah, George, Mary, William, Elizabeth, Robert, Thomas. Robert Poage fue uno de los primeros ancianos de la iglesia Old Stone, condado de Augusta, Virginia. John Poage, hijo de Robert, Sr. se casó con los hijos de Jean Somers: John, Grace, Martha, Robert, William, Anne, James, Jonathan, Thomas y Rebecca. Entre los oficiales de la Milicia de Virginia del condado de Augusta en la Guerra de Independencia se encontraban James Poage, el teniente John Poage, alférez y George Poage, capitán.

También había una familia de color de "Free Tom" que vivía en Mt .. Sterling, Kentucky, en el momento de la enumeración del censo federal de 1810.

Copyright y copia de rutas de genealogía
Todos los datos de este sitio web están protegidos por derechos de autor de Genealogy Trails.
con todos los derechos reservados para los remitentes originales.


George Hardwick

Si George Hardwick era la persona que estaba buscando, es posible que pueda descubrir más sobre ellos en nuestra página de recursos.

Si tiene más que cazar, intente una nueva búsqueda o explore los registros de convictos.

Know more about George Hardwick?

Community Contributions

Fiona Irwin on 15th July, 2020 wrote:

George Hardwick was born in 1810 to parents John and his wife Ann. George grew up in Ashbocking, a small town in the Parish of Ipswich, in the rural County of Suffolk in England. George was one of five surviving children with three siblings having died during their childhood: John born in 1804 died in 1811 Martin born in 1807 died in 1818 and Maria born in 1812 died in 1825.
In 1838, when George came in contact with the law for the first time for the offence of stealing fowls, he was already married to Amy with a daughter Cecilia and had another child on the way. Their son, George William Hardwick, was born in the second half of 1838. In 1840 when George was apprehended for the second time, he had a further child on the way and Miriam was born in 1840.
For his second offence George was sentenced for 7 years transportation for stealing lead from a Church Yard, and he was held at the gaol at Ipswich from 4 July to 14 July 1840 before being transferred to the prison hulk Warrior which was moored off Woolwich and at Chatham on the Thames.
After spending just over 20 months on board the Warrior, George who was found to be in good health was gathered up in leg irons with 279 convicts and transported to Van Diemen’s Land on the Eden which departed Woolwich on 12 March in 1842. For a male convict born in 1810, George’s height measured in 1842 of 70.5 inches was approximately 4.5 inches above the average height of convict men who had grown up in the rural areas of Great Britain. When George was transported on the Eden he was leaving behind his wife Amy and Cecilia, his seven year-old-daughter.
The Eden was under the command of Lieutenant Gordon, 29 rank and file of the 99th regiment with the ship’s crew and also four women and three children were on board. Eden’s surgeon, Mr Alexander Neill, indicated in the general remarks section of his daily sick book journal that the general appearance of the convicts was favourable, however, several had been affected by confinement and diet in the hulks and two were returned.
By 8 June Neill had written in the journal that serious health problems had arisen during the voyage when they encountered a huge storm off the Island of Amsterdam. During the storm the Eden was damaged, tarpaulins had washed off the hatchways and forty convicts in the prison and their bedding had been drenched by seawater. A week later Neill had noted the air in the prison and in the hospital had become ‘truly oppressive’. He continued to add in his journal the weather remained stormy from 8 June until the day of arrival in Van Diemen’s Land.
Fortunately, George Hardwick’s name did not appear in the journal but many of his fellow transportees were struck down by injury or ill health. The life-threatening diseases on Eden’s voyage were related to scurvy and consumption, an old term for what we now know is tuberculosis and Neill also noted one of the convict’s underlying health condition of syphilis had greatly reduced his capacity to overcome scurvy.
According to the journal, 20 percent of the convicts required medical treatment for illness or injury. In total Neill treated fifteen soldiers, four sailors, one of the children (a boy) and fifty-five convicts. Convicts Jonathan Brown aged 49 and John Kaye aged 55 had chronic illnesses diagnosed and had been hospitalised prior to the voyage and they made up two of the four deaths attributed to the later stages of scurvy (scorbutic dysentery). Given their age and their previous health problems it is surprising that Kaye and Brown had been selected fit for travel. The fifth convict death was due to tuberculosis.
After 105 days the Eden arrived in Van Diemen’s Land on 5 July 1842, and George was sent on 13 July to the Salt Water Creek Probation Station for a twelve-month period during which time his health remained good as was his conduct. Before he received his ticket of leave on 17 January 1846 he worked as a labourer in Brighton and in Glenorchy. By 1849 when he had received his freedom, George had settled in the Derwent Valley and he continued his trade of bootmaker.
Though George’s wife and daughter did not join him, he went on to cohabitate and have four children with Elizabeth Purdon until 1854 when Elizabeth died in childbirth. He then married Mary Cary in Richmond in 1855 and went on to have 6 more children. Of the ten children born, only one died in infancy.
George, however, did have a further brush with the law and in 1853 a charge of larceny that was brought against him was said to have been ‘ignored’. Perhaps George’s prosperity was underpinned by his good health, farming and labouring knowledge and skills that were in demand, he had settled in Brighton in the Derwent Valley, an area known for its fertile soils, and was able to successfully farm the land whilst still plying his trade as a bootmaker. And after his brush with the law in 1853 he was able stay on the right side of the law. George was able to live on until an old age and he died on 9 October 1889 in Brighton in his 79th year.
Many thanks to the Hardwick family for lending me their family history resources.

Convict Changes History

Fiona Irwin on 15th July, 2020 made the following changes:

date of birth: 1810 (prev. 0000), date of death: 9th October, 1889 (prev. 0000), occupation, crime


The southernmost part of the town of Hardwick along the Ware River featured a covered bridge, corn mill, saw mill, coal house, forge, and a scattering of residences by 1772. 1 A new furnace was erected by 1815 under the management of Col. Thomas Wheeler and Lemuel Harrington at which point the area became known as New Furnace. For a brief period between 1832 and the 1840s, a paper mill was located along the river.

Seeking to expand his woolen manufacturing lines in Ware, industrialist George Gilbert of the George Gilbert Manufacturing Company purchased land along the Ware River in the late 1850s. 1

Gilbert moved to Ware in 1841 and in partnership with Charles A. Stevens, purchased the former Hampshire Manufacturing Company. 1 It produced bread cloths, and later flannels. The company added a stone mill in 1846 which specialized in white and opera flannels. After the partnership dissolved in 1851, Gilbert’s nephew, Lewis N. Gilbert, joined him and was made a full partner in the George H. Gilbert & Company in 1857. In 1867, the company became known as the George H. Gilbert Manufacturing Company.

With demand outpacing supply, Gilbert sought ample land to expand. The first mill in New Furnace, Mill No. 1, was constructed in 1860 and was producing worsteds and flannels by 1862. 1 Mill No. 2 was added in 1863, followed by Mill No. 3 in 1864 and Mill No. 4 in 1867. A major addition was made to Mill No. 1 in 1883.

The mills were originally powered by the force of a canal via the Ware River, which was augmented by a coal-fired power plant in 1912. 1

By the early 20th century, the wool industry began to move to the South, and companies that remained did not invest in technological improvements to their production lines. The Gilbert Manufacturing Company mills operated at far less than capacity and Mill No. 3 was torn down in 1916.

Vested through powers granted from a legislative act in 1926, the Metropolitan Water Supply Commission began diverting floodwaters from the Ware River at Coldbrook in March 1931 to serve as a water supply for the city of Worcester. 4 The damming of the river lessened both the quantity and quality of the water to the point that it was no longer suitable for washing and treating the woolen cloth it manufactured nor was there enough water power to support the mills. The trial, the longest ever in the Hampshire County courts at 28 days, resulted in a favorable judgment for the company in January 1934, whereas it was awarded $305,708 in damages—but by that point, the company and its assets had been sold to a group of outside investors for $119,000. 1 It continued to operate at low levels of production before the facilities were severely damaged by a hurricane in 1938.

After the hurricane, the Sugarman Company of Coatesville, Pennsylvania was retained to liquidate the company holdings, a process that continued into the 1940s. 1 Mill No. 2 was dismantled and sold for salvage in the late 1940s while others were largely vacated. During the 1950s, Mill No. 1 was used by the William Carter Company to produce women’s and children’s clothing, complimenting its other mills in Springfield, Barnesville and Forsythe, Georgia and Senatobia, Mississippi. 2 3 Mill No. 4 was acquired by the Salem family and used as the Gilbertville Storage Company. 5

Company Town

The Gilbert Manufacturing Company constructed a small company-owned village that consisted of: 1

  • The c. 1863 Gilbertville Hall, a three-story mansard-roofed structure with a hall on the upper floors and a retail store on the lower level
  • The c. 1912 Gilbertville Public Library funded by Col. Edward H. Gilbert and designed in the Classical Revival style
  • The c. 1883 Gilbertville Union Hall that included a skating rink
  • The c. 1874 St. Aloysius Church, a stone Gothic Revival style facility constructed at the cost of $50,000, the result of a bequest of George Gilbert’s will in 1869 and augmented by substantial family and company gifts. A chapel and parsonage were added c. 1884. Prior to the completion of the church, the congregation met in the Hall.
  • A c. 1870 store operated by the Hitchcock family with a boardinghouse above on south Main Street
  • A c. 1870 school at the corner of High and Highland Streets. It was replaced with an elementary school in 1903 and a high school in 1910, both designed by E.C. and G.C. Gardner. The high school was relocated from Hardwick Center.
  • A passenger depot, freight station, and warehouse along the Ware River Railroad, which later became the Central Massachusetts Railroad
  • A c. 1882 bandstand
  • Approximately 69 multi-family residences, 186 tenements, and nine single-family structures.

The village of Gilbertville was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1991.


Historia

Hardwick Estate has a long and fascinating history including a role in the English civil war, and as one of the inspirations for Wind in the Willows.

At the time of the Battle of Hastings in 1066, Hardwick and its lands were owned by Wigod, the Saxon Lord of Wallingford. The Doomsday book records a dwelling on the current location of Hardwick House, whose cellars are believed to originate from this era.

1842 drawing of Hardwick House

In the thirteenth century, the house and grounds passed into the hands of a Norman French family called the de Hardwicks, and in 1527 the Estate was purchased by Richard Lybbe, a wealthy landowner with links to the royal family, who built the Elizabethan manor – Hardwick House. The family’s royal connection made them a target for Oliver Cromwell’s republican army during the civil war, and Hardwick was attacked and ransacked. Later, when King Charles I was imprisoned in Oxford he visited Hardwick to drink ale and play bowls on a green on the Estate.

Sir Charles Day Rose bought the Estate in 1909, having rented it since 1871 after the Lybbe Powys’s fell on hard times. He was a banker, sportsman and Liberal politician thought to be the inspiration for the character Mr Toad in Wind in the Willows, which was written by his banking contemporary Kenneth Grahame who lived in Pangbourne. As Liberal Member of Parliament for Newmarket and Cambridge he became a supporter of David Lloyd George’s ‘people’s budget’, advocating redistribution of land, and abolition of the House of Lords. The enormous wealth which he amassed via mining and railway investments in North America, India and Africa was spent on his passion for sports. At Hardwick he built a race horse breeding stud farm which turned out several Derby winners, and two Real Tennis courts, one of which is still an active club. He was also a pioneering motorist, yachtsman and aviator.

The Rose family continue to own and manage the Estate to this day. In the 1950s and 60s Sir Charles Rose placed emphasis on Hardwick’s forestry, and it became one of the first English woodlands to experiment with planting Thuja Plicata (Western Red Cedar), alongside high grade Beech for furniture making, winning several awards.

In 1975 the farmland was converted to organic status by Sir Julian Rose, the present Estate owner, and his mother Phoebe, and by 1983 Julian was running a thriving organic mixed family farm including a Guernsey dairy herd producing unpasteurised milk, as well as beef, woodland pigs, sheep, chickens, and arable. An award winning farm shop was established at Path Hill selling produce from the farm and its neighbours, and the raw milk, cream and bacon won national awards on a number of occasions. The now renowned horticulturalist Iain Tolhurst and his family took over the Estate’s historic market garden at the same time, producing high quality organic veg. Sadly, increasing government regulation, supermarket dominance, as well as the BSE and foot and mouth crises put the farm shop out of business, and Julian instead focused his energy on campaigning to save what he calls ‘Real Food’ and the family farms that produce it, from the forces of mechanisation and corporate agriculture.

The Old Dairy Farm Shop and farm events in the 1990s

There are several books and films with more information on Hardwick’s vivid history:

The Real Mr Toad: Merchant Venturer and Radical in the Age of Gold by Michael Redley is a mini biography of Sir Charles Day Rose documenting his role in shaking up Edwardian society, as well as the sadness and intrigue in his private life.

The booklet is available from the Bell Bookshop in Henley, Garlands in Pangbourne, and the Hardwick Estate Office for £7.

William Barefield Hutt, whose family lived and worked on the Estate from around 1900 until the 1970s, wrote a series of memoirs including Hardwick, which details his family’s experiences working for Sir Charles Day Rose as well as latterly. It can be purchased from the Whitchurch and Goring Heath History Society for £8.


George Hardwick history under the hammer

MAJOR Boro items of huge historic significance will come under the hammer next month.

MAJOR Boro items of huge historic significance will come under the hammer next month.

They come from Boro legend’s George Hardwick extensive and remarkable collection of rare and elusive artefacts.

The Hardwick material is going up for sale at the Mullock’s Ltd Football Auction at Ludlow Racecourse on July 7.

The remarkable collection includes the unique Great Britain shirt which George wore when he skippered the four nations in the 1947 match against the Rest of Europe to celebrate the return of peace to the continent.

The shirt has been on display at the Riverside Stadium for a few years.

The auction collection also includes nine of George’s international caps, plus an England blazer and an autographed 1950s England shirt.

Keith Hartwell from Mullock’s said: “We are delighted to be able to include George Hardwick’s collection in our football auction next month.

“The items available form the extensive part of all of George’s memorabilia. I am sure there will be a great deal of interest.”

Saltburn-born George, whose outstanding career is commemorated by a statue outside the Riverside, was a Boro player from 1937 to 1950.

He played 166 games for the club, most of them at left-back, though he lost seven years of his career because of the Second World War, when he served in the RAF.

He captained England in all 13 of his post-war international appearances, with the Great Britain captaincy being his greatest honour.

George went on to manage Oldham Athletic, coached in Germany and Holland, and later managed Sunderland, where he gave Brian Clough his first coaching role.

Hardwick was a regular attender at Boro home games until his death in 2004, at the age of 84.

Some of the extremely collectable items in the Mullock’s auction include junior medals which George was awarded when he was a teenager with South Bank East End.

The nine international caps include his first one, which came in a 7-2 victory against Northern Ireland in season 1946-47.

In addition to the shirt which George wore against the Rest of Europe, when he played at right-back, there is also an inscripted silver plaque from the match.

Another rare item is the winner’s medal which George received when he was player-manager of Oldham Athletic when they won the Division Three North Championship in 1953.

One of the last medals George received is also included in the auction.

It is the Football League 100 Legends gold medal which he was awarded in 1999, when the Football League celebrated the start of the 100th season of league football.

Mullock’s are based in Church Stretton in Shropshire. Further information is available from mullocksauctions.co.uk

Meanwhile, Boro forward Oliver Norris has died in Australia at the age of 82 after a long illness.

Derry-born Oliver came to Teesside as a 17-year-old in 1948 after being spotted playing for St Eugene&aposs Boys by Eddie Davis, who arranged for a trial with Boro.

Nicknamed “Narker”, he made his debut in a 2-0 win at Newcastle in 1952 and went on to make 13 appearances and score three goals before moving to Bournemouth in 1955.

Most of his eight seasons with Boro were spent in the reserves.

However he became one of the most talked about players in England in 1957 when he was part of the Bournemouth side that reached the FA Cup quarter-final, beating Danny Blanchlower’s Spurs and Billy Wright’s Wolves before losing 2-1 to Manchester United.

He later played for Northampton and Rochdale and managed Gloucester City before moving to Australia, where he worked as a coach for the Australian Soccer Federation.

After moving Down Under he continued to play and coach and he played a part in the early career of Mark Viduka, who went on to become a Boro and Socceroos legend.

BORO have reported that limited places are still available for the Father&aposs Day lunch at the Riverside on Sunday.

Prices are £25 for adults and £12.50 for children for a three-course lunch plus coffee and mints.

A tour of the stadium is included and there is a gift for each dad attending.


Coaching.

I specialise in sparking radical transformation in the lives of artists, athletes and entrepreneurs who find themselves at a crossroads in life. I work with flow states, initiation practices and deep enquiry so that you can bring forth the possibilities, synergies and clarity to shift lanes and begin the next chapter of your life.

Working with me, typically, is not a long-term commitment. It will usually only be 1 or 2 sessions that are be needed to really get things moving for you. However, if what emerges for you is the vision for a new brand or venture, you may wish to engage me further to help you find the right words to share your new purpose with the world. I never assume that I will be the right fit for you, or you for me, so before we work together we’ll have a free discovery call of up to 45mins to map the terrain and get clear on if/how we can serve each other.


George Hardwick - History

George Francis Moutry Hardwick, the son of an electrician and a schoolmistress, was born at Saltburn on February 2 1920 many of his forebears were Scottish smugglers. He weighed 12lb at birth.

His father was employed by Pease and Partners, and worked in an ironstone pit on the edge of the Yorkshire moors. When the pit closed he lost his job. "Everyone was unemployed," George remembered. "My mother and father went without food so that I would have enough to eat. I remember getting up with my father at 3am to go out in the fields gathering mushrooms. That was our meal for the day. My grandfather on my mother's side was an engine driver. He was still in work, and he and his associates used to collect old children's clothes, shoes, boots, anything, and pass it on to us. Mother tore apart old woollen jumpers to re-knit them as red and white jerseys and stockings for us to play football in."
Hardwick signed for Middlesbrough (for a 5 fee) in April 1937, scoring an own goal on his debut. The outbreak of war saw him join the RAF while training as an air gunner, he was nearly killed during a Luftwaffe attack on his base in Bedfordshire. He then became a sergeant in RAF Bomber Command.
During the war he turned out for Chelsea, appearing in two wartime Wembley cup finals he also played 17 wartime internationals for England, games which did not earn a full cap and were intended as morale-boosting exercises. Once, playing for Chelsea against Fulham, the sirens were sounded in the middle of the match all the players threw themselves flat on the ground: "The Germans bombed the other side of the river, and the referee blew his whistle to carry on." After the war, Chelsea wanted to sign Hardwick from Middlesbrough the Chelsea chairman travelled to Teesside, placed a blank cheque in front of his opposite number and invited him to fill it in. Middlesbrough declined.

At Hampden Park in 1947, Hardwick captained Great Britain against a FIFA side, Great Britain winning 6-1. In all he went on to make 166 appearances for Middlesbrough, scoring five goals. In November 1950 he was transferred to Oldham Athletic, for whom, as player-manager, he made 190 appearances and scored 14 times. After retiring as a player, Hardwick coached the United States 7th Army in Germany he then coached PSV Eindhoven (1957-59) and the Dutch national side (1959-61), before rejoining Middlesbrough as youth team coach.

In November 1964 Hardwick was appointed manager of Sunderland. Despite guiding the Wearside club to what was then their highest post-war position, he was sacked after only 169 days. During this period he started Brian Clough on his managerial career, by appointing him coach to the youth team. Hardwick never, of course, knew the lifestyle enjoyed by today's successful footballers. But he was a handsome man, and was friendly with actresses such as Kay Kendall, Shirley Eaton, Margaret Lockwood and Ava Gardner.

He was guest of honour at Wembley when England lost 2-0 to France in February 1999, and was not impressed by what he saw: "By God, they played without an atom of pride. I've never seen 11 players with less guts. My players would have walked home if they'd played like that." He added: "For the players, it's all too quick and easy now. For us it was about pride. I wanted to be somebody, so I worked for it."

He is survived by his second wife Jennifer (née Totterdell) they were together for 36 years and married in 1983. From his previous marriage he had two sons, who survive him. - The Telegraph obituary


History of Sodomy Laws

The Sensibilities of Our Forefathers, the definitive legal history of sodomy laws in the United States by George Painter. It puts everything else here to shame.

Survey of Key Developments Worldwide by Alan Freeman

Other history articles

The proscription of sodomy in the English tradition began in 1533 when King Henry VIII adopted contemporary church doctrine into a system of laws at the time of the English withdrawal from the Catholic Church. Sodomy became both a sin and a crime, since ecclesiastical law recognizes no distinction between the concepts of "sin" and "crime." Sodomy included any form of non-procreative acts including masturbation, oral and anal sex.

The original thirteen American colonies derived their laws from the English common law and continued the legal tradition in which sodomy carried the penalty of death.

The 1683 Pennsylvania law called sodomy an "unnatural sin" and the East New Jersey law listed it among the "Offenses against God."

Every state adopted some form of a sodomy law as it joined the United States, either in acceptance of an unwritten common law or in formal codification. A slow modernization of laws away from a religious doctrine into a secular system reduced penalties over time in a piece meal fashion. All states had laws against sodomy by 1960.

The 1955 edition of the American Law Institute’s model penal code omitted sodomy laws for the first time. In 1961, the Illinois legislature revised their criminal code without prohibiting sodomy. The law went into effect in 1962 without fanfare.

Idaho was the second state to repeal its sodomy law through a general modernization of its laws. According to Dr. Franklin E. Kameny, the Advocate, then a gay newspaper, ran a headline celebrating the repeal. This came to the attention of Idaho state legislators who called an emergency session "into which they marched waving copies of the Advocate." The legislature repealed the just enacted modern criminal code. Connecticut was the next state to repeal its sodomy law in 1971 in a modernization of the penal code. Twenty-one other states followed suit. Gay activists had little or no involvement with most of these repeals. In fact, many of the states that repealed their laws are just beginning to form organizations that can lobby effectively for their rights.

Exceptions that trend came from California, Minnesota, New York and DC. Gay Activists in these places began explicit gay rights campaigns to repeal their sodomy laws. California was the only one of these states to successfully repeal its law prior to 1980.

California’s sodomy repeal effort began in 1969 with urging from Morris Kight, Rev. Troy Perry and others. The repeal bill was introduced to the California legislature starting in 1969 by Assemblyman Willie Brown, and every year afterwards until its passage in 1975. In 1975, the liberal Democratic state Senate Majority Leader, George Moscone — running for Mayor of San Francisco — twisted many arms for its passage. The Senate deadlocked on a 20-20 vote, Moscone locked the chamber doors, until Lieutenant Governor Merv Dymallyin could fly back from Denver and cast the tie-breaking vote. It was signed into law by Gov. Jerry Brown.

Moscone’s efforts won the support of the large gay population of San Francisco and Moscone beat Diane Feinstein in the primary, and edged out city superintendent John Barbagelata to become the first liberal mayor of San Francisco. Moscone was later assassinated by former supervisor Dan White along with the first gay supervisor, Harvey Milk. Brown and Feinstein later became Mayors and Feinstein is currently a US Senator from California.

In the late 1970’s and early 1980’s the growing strength and politicization of religious extremists significantly slowed the repeal efforts. The awaking of religious political extremists led to at least two states to enact specifically anti-gay sodomy laws at the same time as they otherwise modernized their criminal codes. Kentucky enacted a homosexual-only sodomy law in 1974. Arkansas did the same in 1977 with the approval of then state Attorney General Bill Clinton.

The Kentucky law was declared unconstitutional in Commonwealth v. Wasson under the equal protection and privacy rights of the Kentucky constitution. The Arkansas law is currently being challenged.

At the same time, the AIDS crisis took the fledgling gay political community away from gay rights issues, including sodomy repeal, and focused the efforts on care, treatment and other more immediate needs of people with HIV and AIDS.

Courts and lawmakers withdrew from repeal efforts in light of the potential criticism of promoting homosexual sex at a time that the HIV transmission modes were becoming known. Transmission of HIV through anal sex was a major factor blocking the 1987 Minnesota repeal bill.

In 1986 Bowers contra Hardwick was decided by the US Supreme Court and sparked a resurgence of interest in sodomy laws.

Michael Hardwick was a bartender in a gay bar in Atlanta, Georgia who was targeted by a police officer for harassment. In 1982, an unknowing houseguest let the officer let into Hardwick’s home the officer went to the bedroom where Hardwick was engaged in sex with his partner. The men were arrested on the charge of sodomy. Charges were later dropped, but Hardwick brought the case forward with the purpose of having the sodomy law declared unconstitutional.

Bowers was a response to a particularly insulting police action and repeal advocates had hoped that the case would put an end to sodomy laws in the United States when it reached the Supreme Court. Unfortunately, the 5-4 decision found that nothing in the Constitution "would extend a fundamental right to homosexuals to engage in acts of consensual sodomy."

Justice Lewis Powell was the swing vote in the decision, switching from supporting invalidating all sodomy laws to denying homosexuals any right of privacy. In October of 1990, three years after his retirement, Powell told a group of New York University Law students, "I think I probably made a mistake in that one." He told the National Law Journal, "That case was not a major case, and one of the reasons I voted the way I did was the case was a frivolous case" brought "just to see what the court would do" on the subject. A more callous opinion is hard to imagine. As AIDS services became institutionalized and the benefits of direct action on AIDS issues waned, activists in the 1990’s returned to gay issues and sodomy repeal efforts were again successful.

Since the Bowers decision two states, Nevada and Rhode Island, and the District of Columbia have repealed their laws. In all three successful efforts there was an explicit goal by mostly gay activists to repeal the law, in contrast to the code modernization of earlier efforts. Repeal advocates in other states also launched or continued to introduce repeal legislation.

In Washington, DC, activists had been successful in 1981 in passing the Sexual Assault Reform bill, which modernized DC’s law on sex crimes. The bill passed the DC Council and was signed by then Mayor Marion Barry. The US Congress controls all of DC legislation bowing to anti-gay sentiment led by Jerry Fawell in a national campaign, killed the entire bill. New legislation was introduced every year starting in 1982 but it languished in the Judiciary Committee controlled by Wilhelmina Rolark.

In February 1992, a raid on a private gay club, the Follies Theater, resulting in 14 arrests㬇 on sodomy charges—sparked the gay community to focus efforts on repealing the sodomy law once again.

A separate arrest in 1992 of two men engaging in consensual sex in their car parked in DC also evoked community outrage. The two fought the law in court before a jury and essentially admitted to the act in court, but argued that they had not done anything that should be criminalized. The jury agreed and neutralized the law in their case.

A group of repeal activists from the direct action group Queer Nation turned themselves in to the police for committing sodomy in the District. The police, shocked by this action, were left scrambling for a response. They eventually took sworn statements from 3 couples who could testify that they had committed sodomy with each other. No arrests were made and no one was prosecuted.

Facing considerable public opposition to the arrests, Mayor Sharon Pratt Kelly ordered the police chief to stop enforcing the law against consenting adults.

An amendment to an unrelated bill to reform the law was proposed in 1992 but defeated by the DC Council.

Mayor Marion Barry’s unrelated personal and legal problems resulted in a 6-month jail term for crack cocaine possession. He had declined to run for Mayor in 1990, but in 1992 ran for City Council against Rolark. Rolark was defeated and in 1993, with a shift in committee chairs, the bill was introduced to the City Council.

Hearings on the bill lasted for nearly 9 hours without a break and were almost completely dominated by gay activists. Dr. Kameny, representing the Traditional Values Coalition of Washington, DC and the Mattachine Society, opened the hearing with strong testimony in favor of the bill. Kameny, who had worked for repeal of the law for more that 30 years, testified that sodomy should be legalized and considered "good, moral, and rewarding."

Kameny had incorporated Traditional Values Coalition in DC forcing the national anti-gay activist group to be identified as being from California where they are incorporated, significantly diminishing their impact on the locally elected officials. Most of the opposition testimony came from local Baptist ministers but they, and a Catholic official, admitted that they were most concerned about public sex which the sodomy-reform bill would not have legalized.

The reform bill, written by Kameny, stated simply "No act engaged in only by consenting persons 16 years of age or older shall constitute an offense under this section." Kameny had wanted to simultaneously repeal the adultery, fornication and similar laws, but met with opposition from DC Council members. The bill passed the Council unanimously and Mayor Kelly signed it in a public ceremony.

Representatives of national gay rights groups—including the Human Rights Campaign Fund, the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force and the Campaign for Military Service—asked DC activists to delay sending the reform bill to Congress for approval, saying that the gays in the military fight strained their resources. The DC activists refused. Rep. Barney Frank (D-MA) asked the Republican leadership in the Senate not to support an amendment drafted by Sen. Jesse Helms (R-NC) and they, not wishing another fight on gay sexuality, complied, allowing the reform bill to become law.

The sodomy law was repealed completely in 1995 with the passage of the Sexual Assault Reform bill that finally modernized the DC criminal code.

After the Nevada Supreme Court upheld the constitutionality of the Nevada gay-only sodomy law, the legislature in 1993 amended the law making four major changes.

The bill made oral and anal sex criminal only when performed in public and removed the qualification that made it apply only to acts committed between adults of the same-sex. The archaic, offensive and vague language "infamous crimes against nature" was replaced with "anal intercourse, cunnilingus, or fellatio." And the section stating that "any sex penetration, however slight is sufficient to complete the crime against nature" was removed, as it was no longer meaningful with the new language.

Nevada, unlike DC, benefited from the strategy of amending the sodomy law into a public sex law. By expanding reform of the law that only prohibited homosexual acts into a wider issue, the anti-gay activists were blunted.

The Rhode Island Supreme Court failed to overturn the state’s "Abominable and Detestable Crime Against Nature" law in four separate cases from 1962 through 1985. A reform bill was introduced in 1984 by Rep. John Harwood, a Democrat who later became Speaker of the House. The reformed law would have allowed "private, consensual sexual acts between adults." It was in response to sexual misconduct by police at a bachelor party and was not sought for the protection of gay and lesbian people. The bill passed the House, but was blocked by the Senate.

Jorge Lopes was charged with sexual assault after a woman accused him of forcing her to submit to vaginal, anal, and oral sex. Lopes testified that they had sex, but he argued that it was consensual. The jury believed him, acquitting him of sexual assault but, acting on instructions from the judge, found him guilty of committing an abominable and detestable crime against nature. The Supreme Court, in State of Rhode Island v. Jorge Lopes, upheld the decision but did not rule on the law’s constitutionality. Lopes was given a 10-year suspended sentence with 10 years probation. ,

In frustration with the state Supreme Court’s pro-sodomy law opinions, repeal activists started to introduce their own legislation. But they failed to repeal the sodomy law until 1998.

In September 1997, North Smithfield, Rhode Island police tried to make a case against two men who had allegedly committed consensual sex in the woods near Route 146.

The incident came to light when one of the two men went to the police to complain that his wallet was stolen during the sexual encounter, and the police charged both men – the alleged thief and his alleged victim – with "abominable and detestable crime(s) against nature." Attorney General Jeffrey B. Pine declined to prosecute.

The case received considerable attention in the press and led to resurgence in support for legislative repeal.

Added to the repeal efforts was Superior Court Judge Frank Williams’ decision in the Block Island rape trial, which threw out the sodomy charge and acquitted Edward F. McGovern, a prominent politician in New Shorem, and his co-defendants of sexual assault charges. Williams ruled that the Rhode Island sodomy law violates the equal-protection clause of the state Constitution because it treats married and unmarried couples differently. The Attorney General declined to appeal, but repeal advocates feared that the decision would be overturned by the state Supreme Court.

Repeal advocates turned away from the court as a possible avenue and began introducing repeal legislation in 1992. Finding the legislature to be unready to pass the bill, votes were not called for six years. The bill was even withdrawn in 1995, so as not to interfere with the passage of the non-discrimination law that passed that year. The House Judiciary committee did hold a hearing in 1996, but the bill did not move forward.

The repeal bill’s House sponsor, Rep. Edith Ajello—strategizing with gay and lesbian rights activists—finally thought that passage was a possibility in 1998. On May 7, 1998 the repeal bill passed the Rhode Island House on a vote of 49 to 40. The Rhode Island Senate voted 26 to 17 on June 2, 1998 to repeal the law. Republican Governor Lincoln Almond signed the bill into law.


From Christopher Hardwick

Yours of the 8th Instant Came to hand the 20th1. I wou’d have wrote to you as often as you Desire, but that I have nothing material to Mention so often to write to you about, neither have I at this time any agreeable News or acct to Send to you in regard to our Crop the Weather being so excessive Dry, had not one Shower of rain since my Last Letter to you ’till Sunday last,2 makes me fear it will be but a poor Crop, tho. Better with you than with any other in our Neighbourhood, our last planting is but very small by the Drought & a great deal of it burnt up—According to your Directions I have sent the Mare with her four Colts to Mount Vernon, & wrote to John Alton to take particular Care of them,3 I shall have the Wheat Threshed out as soon as possible, people won’t ⟨ mutilated ⟩ hired to thresh at this Time, nor can I spare any of our own people ⟨ mutilated ⟩o it, as yet, Please to let me know what Quantity of wheat you’l have Sowed this year, your people are all well, I have nothing else material to Mention but am with due Respect Sir your most Humble & Obedient Servant

PD Sir please to write to me by the first opportunity concerning the Wheat.

1. GW’s letter of 8 Aug. has not been found.

2. The most recent letter found from Hardwick is dated 3 August.

3. See Humphrey Knight to GW, 24 Aug., for the arrival of the mare and colts at Mount Vernon on 23 August.


Ver el vídeo: CW109: Madars Fleminas vs George Hardwick


Comentarios:

  1. Admetus

    Esta es la frase simplemente hermosa

  2. Micaden

    ¿No intentaste buscar en google.com?

  3. Rosselyn

    Magnífica frase

  4. Marr

    Has dado en el blanco. Me gusta este pensamiento, estoy completamente contigo de acuerdo.

  5. Patrick

    Creo que estabas equivocado. Estoy seguro. Escríbeme en PM.



Escribe un mensaje